J74 ISO Controllers - Use the Launchpad and the APC40 controllers as Isomorphic instruments
The J74 ISO Controllers package allows you to turn the popular APC40 (original edition) and Launchpad (standard Launchpad, Launchpad-s, Launchpad-mini) into multi-template isomorphic controllers. By re-assigning notes to the pads and using colors to give essential and intuitive information about the harmonic characteristics, the layouts turn both controllers in easy to play instruments for harmony and melody.
The package provides you with both standalone applications (for MAC and Windows) as well as Ableton Live native formats (Max for Live and MIDI Remote Python scripts). The standalone versions run as independent desktop applications (for MAC and Windows) and can be used in combination with any other software (e.g. any modern DAW like Logic, Cubase, Sonar, FL Studio, Ableton Live) and/or hardware (like a MIDI synthesizer) which accepts MIDI as input. The standalone version supports only the Launchpad family of controllers. The Max for Live and Python versions are for exclusive use in Ableton Live (as native formats) and cover both Launchpad and APC40. The two platform types (M4L vs Python) integrate differently in Live and may suite different users and situations. The Max for Live plug-ins are MIDI devices you can drop in if needed to have the feature activated on demand. The MIDI Remote python scripts instead integrate more closely with your controller device as they operate as Control Surface definitions.
Note: currently only the original edition of the APC40 is supported. The APC40 mk2 (as well as the other APC controllers) are not supported.
- 9 modes interchangeable isomorphic layouts (modes)
- 40+ musical scales applicable to the layouts
- Each layout/scale can be transposed to any key root (+/- 64 semitones)
- Key back-light feedback and output velocity control (*)
- Pitch bender (*)
- Custom scale definition (*)
- Circle of Fifths navigation (*)
- Possibility to jump (toggle/momentary) between any two scales (*)
- Supports any Launchpad model (standard, Launchpad-s, Launchpad-mini), in any DAW
- Supports the Akai APC40 (Ableton Live only)
- Ableton Live versions: Max for Live and MIDI Script (Python)
- Generic standalone application: any MIDI instrument or any MIDI DAW (with Launchpad only)
- All versions included in the package
- 1. Drum Rack, good for drumming (e.g. Ableton Live drum racks)
- 2. Diatonic, ideal for chord progressions
- 3. Push, diatonic mode similar to Ableton in-key mode
- 4. Diagonal, good for arpeggios
- 5. Octave, ideal for bass players and solo's
- 6. Guitar, emulate the frets on a guitar
- 7. Guitar2, simplified emulation of frets on a guitar
- 8. Chormatic, similar to the piano layout
- 9. Janko, experimental isomorphic chromatic layout
(*) feature available on Max for Live and Standalone versions.
- Standalone for MAC and Windows (works with any DAW and/or MIDI device).
- Ableton Live Python script version: Live 9.x or higher // Live 8.3 or higher
- Ableton Live Max for Live version: Live 9.x or higher + Max 6.1.x // Live 8.3 or higher + Max 5.1.9
For more information about the toolset have a look to the detailed user manual.
Get J74 ISO ControllersThe J74 ISO Controllers devices can be purchased for just $8 (USD) and comes in the form of Standalone, Max for Live plug-ins and MIDI Remote python scripts (with both Launchpad and APC40 setups). The package can be purchased using the buy button below. Once your order will be completed you will get a download link through the Paypal confirmation page.
A video playing a piano sound using the "Diatonic" layout (scale "Lydian", root "C") in the J74 ISO Controllers package.
A tutorial on how to use the J74 ISO Controllers package.
Here ISO Controllers on the APC40 (in combination with the J74 StepSequencer64)
New features in version 1.1
Standalone edition: example of integration with any DAW. In this example FL Studio and Cubase.